Filet Oscar

>> Thursday, February 17, 2011

I love going out to eat at a fancy-schmancy restaurant but I detest going out on holidays. I try to avoid crowds, long waits, fixed menus at all costs! So Andrew and I cooked at home and we chose this stellar recipe as our main course. Filet Oscar is basically a filet mignon topped with crab meat and drizzled in Bearnaise sauce. Be still my heart! What's not to love about all that goodness?!?


Since we were having surf and turf, I asked the butcher to cut smaller filets so we wouldn't just have gobs of food we couldn't finish. The Bearnaise sauce was a little tricky for me since I was trying to make it and calm a cranky toddler at the same time. Here are a couple of tips for a successful Bearnaise sauce: 1) check the white wine mixture often because it boils down to 2 tablespoons quickly, 2) when it comes time to put the sauce over the double-boiler, make sure the water is only simmering and not boiling, and 3) when the recipe says to whisk constantly, it means to whisk constantly! Literally, I stopped whisking for about 30 seconds and my sauce curdled. But I got a perfect Bearnaise sauce the second time around! And it was absolutely the most delicious compliment to the steak and crab meat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP