My (Current) Favorite Salad

>> Thursday, November 17, 2011


I based this salad on a salad I make for my father-in-law, and I've made it twice in the last week. I love the tangy sweet citrus with the crunchy fennel and creamy avocado. Yum! I love it so much that while Andrew was eating ice cream last night, I got the left over salad out of the fridge and ate the rest of it! If you're looking for a flavorful addition to your Thanksgiving meal, this salad would be perfect.

My (Current) Favorite Salad

for the salad
2 oranges, peeled and segmented
1 ruby red grapefruit, peeled and segmented
1/2 can hearts of palm, sliced
1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
1 avocado, peeled and cut into chunks
1 head butter lettuce, washed and torn into chunks
1 bunch arugula, washed and torn into chunks

for the dressing
1 small shallot, minced
juice from left over grapefruit membranes (or juice of 1 lemon)
juice from 1 left over orange membrane
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1-2 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/3 cup olive oil
salt and pepper

In a large bowl arrange butter lettuce leaves, arugula, orange segments, grapefruit segments, hearts of palm, fennel slices and avocado chunks.

For the salad dressing, in a blender combine all ingredients and puree. Pour desired amount over salad.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP