>> Saturday, January 4, 2014
Here is my basic plan for the first week of eating real food! Some of the recipes below had to be tweaked a bit to better fit with the real food diet. If I have any real winning recipes, I'll post them as we go.
- Breakfast taco with veggies (onion; red, yellow and green bell peppers; spinach) on whole wheat tortillas
- Pancakes with organic nut butter and maple syrup (using this homemade pancake mix recipe)
- Greek yogurt with granola
- Dinner leftovers
- Fancy BLT sandwiches; veggies and ranch dressing
- Nut butter and honey sandwiches; veggies and ranch dressing
- Crockpot Whole Chicken; Roasted Veggies (onion, fennel, sweet potatoes and brussels sprouts); mac and cheese
- Pasta with Burst Tomatoes and Mascarpone; steamed broccoli and cauliflower
- Tex-Mex Chicken Chili with Lime
- Tasty Frittata; Green Salad
- Turkey Lettuce Wraps; Steamed Edamame
- I started the week off with the Crockpot Whole Chicken recipe. After we ate it for dinner, I picked all the remaining meat off the chicken to use later in the week for the Tex-Mex Chicken Chili. Then I put the carcass back in the crockpot; threw in some onion, carrots, celery and parsley; filled the crockpot with water; and let it cook on low over night. The next morning I strained the homemade chicken stock and poured it into mason jars to use for the Tex-Mex Chicken Chili too.
- I made a double-batch of the lettuce wrap filling and froze half. I love knowing I have a healthy, already prepared dinner in the freezer. I'd like to try to freeze at least one recipe every week so I can have a nice supply of dinners in the freezer.
- The pasta recipe made a lot of tomatoes, so I planned to serve the extra tomatoes in the fancy BLT sandwiches.
- I saved the frittata until the end of the week because I knew that it was a recipe that could easily be tweaked to include any remaining veggies that I had leftover from the week. So it became more of an 'everything but the kitchen sink frittata' but it was still delish. And that's what counts!
- I loved having my snacks prepared ahead of time for the week. I usually don't go to grab a snack until I'm already famished, so I knew it was imperative for me to have healthy things ready to eat.