Olive, Goat Cheese and Olive Oil Loaf

>> Wednesday, April 20, 2011


My parents own an oriental rug shop, and now that my mom has retired from teaching, she takes the shop on Wednesdays so my dad can have a day off. My mom and her friends started holding "Board Meetings" every Wednesday afternoon at the shop. There's usually anywhere from 4 to 10 regulars who come for gossip, wine and munchies. What better way to celebrate the midpoint of the week?!? Anyway, board meetings are potluck affairs where everyone chips in and brings vino or an appetizer. Being a lazy mom, I usually just bring Finley under the guise that I've brought the entertainment. But every now and then, I get my act together and whip up a tasty appetizer.


I stumbled upon this recipe and knew that I had to try it! I love the versatility of the recipe as you can swap out cheeses and veggies to completely change the flavor profile of the bread. It paired excellently with wine and cheese too.

Olive, Goat Cheese and Olive Oil Loaf
recipe adapted slightly by Erin from Chocolate Shavings blog

3 eggs
1/4 c white wine
1/4 c whole milk
1/4 c olive oil
1 1/2 t baking powder
1 c flour
1/2 c grated Gruyere, tightly packed
4 oz goat cheese, crumbled, plus more for garnish
1/2 c sliced assorted olives, plus more for garnish
2 t fresh herbs (thyme, chives, oregano, basil, rosemary, etc.), plus more for garnish
salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste

In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, wine, milk and olive oil until incorporated. Add the flour and baking powder and whisk until blended. Fold in the Gruyere and refrigerate mixture for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Gently fold in goat cheese, olives, herbs, and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Pour batter into a greased standard loaf pan and garnish with reserved goat cheese, olives and herbs. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. (I made two smaller loaves and cooked them for 30 minutes.) If the loaf starts to brown too much, cover with foil and continue baking. Let cool a few minutes before removing from pan and slicing. Serve warm.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP