Savory Tomato Bread Puddings with Herbed Cream Cheese

>> Tuesday, April 6, 2010



I've had this recipe in my recipe binder for a couple of years and just got around to testing it out this Easter. I vaguely remember watching Top Chef (no idea which season or which competitor though) and this recipe did really well in one of the episodes. I printed it off of Bravo's website when I realized it was one of the only Top Chef recipes that didn't involve at least one ingredient I'd never heard of.

It was really good and I love how gourmet it ended up looking! Fancy schmancy! It was a little time-consuming, but it really wasn't difficult to do. I'll definitely make it again for a dinner party. Plus I just like saying that I made a Top Chef recipe :)



Tomato Bread Pudding
adapted from Top Chef

1/3 large red onion, finely diced (or brunoise as Top Chef would say)

2 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 t Italian seasoning

1 T olive oil

1/2 c heavy cream

2 oz tomato paste

3/4 c milk

2 eggs

1/3 loaf sourdough bread, diced

4 oz cream cheese, softened

1/2 bunch fresh basil

1/4 bunch fresh thyme

balsamic vinegar, for drizzling


In a saute pan over medium-low heat, saute onion and garlic until translucent. Mix in whipping cream and Italian seasoning. Season to taste with salt and pepper. In a blender or food processor, blend milk and tomato paste. In a large bowl, add tomato mixture to onion-garlic cream. Add eggs, mix well and then add diced sourdough. Combine and let stand for 45 minutes.

In a blender or food processor, blend cream cheese, basil and thyme. Refrigerate until ready to use.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake bread pudding in mini muffin pan for 15 minutes. Top with herbed cream cheese when ready to serve. Drizzle the plate with balsamic vinegar.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP