Tomato Ravioli Soup

>> Wednesday, August 10, 2011


I know, I know, soup in the middle of August in Texas?!? I'm not sure why this recipe looked so good to me, especially with the oppressive 100+ degree weather we're having, but I decided to go ahead and make the soup. It was so good! I had two bowls last night at dinner! As I was eating my soup, I couldn't help but think of who I could tell about this great (and easy!) soup. The broth is lovely and I'd suggest serving the soup with a good crusty bread so you can sop up every last little bit of that broth. Delicious! This soup tastes like you've been slaving in the kitchen all day, but of course you haven't been, since it's ready in just about half an hour. Loved it!


Tomato Ravioli Soup
adapted from Taste of Home

9 oz refrigerated tortellini or ravioli
1 can (10 3/4-oz) condensed tomato soup (use low sodium if you can find it)
1 can (14-15 oz) diced tomatoes with basil and oregano, drained
1 cup vegetable broth
2 cups whole milk
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 zucchini, quartered and sliced
1/2 bunch of fresh spinach, leaves only
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated, plus more for garnish
fresh basil, julienned, for garnish
store bought seasoned croutons, for garnish

Cook ravioli or tortellini according to package directions. Set aside.

Spray a small skillet with nonstick spray. Cook zucchini over medium heat until just barely golden and softened slightly.

Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium heat, cook together, tomato soup, diced tomatoes, broth, milk, garlic powder, onion powder and Italian seasoning. Add zucchini when it has finished cooking. Stir together and add parmesan cheese. Simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add cooked ravioli/tortellini and simmer an additional 2 minutes. Take soup off heat and add spinach. Stir to cover spinach with soup to allow the spinach to wilt. Ladle into bowls and top with more parmesan cheese, basil and croutons.

1 comments:

Erin F. October 1, 2011 at 9:14 AM  

I make soup year-round. It is too delicious to make "winter only"

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP