Creamy Chicken Taquitos

>> Thursday, December 1, 2011


Originally I had planned to make these taquitos and make a few changes to the recipe. But the more I thought about it, I realized how ambivalent I was feeling about them. While I love bacon, I was a little on the fence about whether or not I wanted bacon in my taquitos...So I decided to use the taquito recipe that I've used several times in the past and always enjoyed. Why mess with a good thing, right?


These taquitos are nothing like the fried-minuscule-virtually-tasteless-things-that-more-closely-resemble-cardboard-than-food you can find in the frozen foods section of your grocery store. These are creamy, crunchy, tasty bites of deliciousness that everyone - including Finley - loves!

It's also important to note that unbaked these freeze really well!

Creamy Chicken Taquitos
adapted from Our Best Bites

3 oz cream cheese, softened
4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, freshly grated
4 oz sour cream
1/4 cup chipotle salsa (feel free to substitute your favorite salsa)
1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
2 green onions, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 large chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
12 flour tortillas
cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, mix together cream cheese, cheddar cheese, sour cream, salsa, cilantro, green onions, garlic,cumin, onion powder, oregano and chili powder. Stir until well combined and then stir in chicken.

Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture on each tortilla and roll up as tightly as you can. Place seam side down on a cookie sheet and repeat with remaining tortillas. Lightly spray each tortilla with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the ends of the tortillas turn golden brown.

Serve with extra salsa, guacamole or this dipping sauce. (I made a simple sauce of equal parts guacamole and sour cream plus a squeeze of lime juice, a dash of chili powder, and a dash of cumin.)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP