Sloppy Cubano Sandwiches

>> Wednesday, December 7, 2011


I'm not sure why I am so enamored by Sloppy Joes, but I am! While I love the original, I also like to spice things up a bit. This recipe popped up on my blog feed this weekend, and I immediately knew I had to try it. I've already professed my love for Sloppy Joes, but I also love a good Cuban sandwich - pork, ham, cheese, mustard and pickles sandwiched between some good, crusty bread. Yum! This recipe is a happy marriage between two great sandwich staples and I could not have been happier with how this turned out. A delicious revision to the Sloppy Joe!

I altered the recipe to have the slow cooker do most of the work for me. With a two-year-old, I always try to do as much work ahead of time (usually while Finley is in preschool or taking her nap) so that I don't have to be slaving over dinner when she's awake and wanting to play. But if you'd like make the recipe on the stovetop, then be sure and look at the original recipes here and here.

Sloppy Cubano Sandwiches
adapted from Taste and Tell and Rachael Ray

6 oz chorizo, casings removed and finely chopped
1 lb ground pork
1/2 white onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon allspice
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 lime, juice and zest
1 cup chicken broth
1 8-oz can tomato sauce
2-3 tablespoons tomato paste
4 rolls or buns, split in half
4 slices Swiss cheese
dill pickle slices
yellow mustard

In a large saute pan over medium heat, cook chorizo until lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Add the pork and onions and continue to cook another 4-6 minutes or until browned. If there is a lot of grease, drain the fat. (Mine didn't render much fat so I skipped this step.)

Meanwhile, in the pot of your slow cooker, stir together garlic, paprika, ground coriander, allspice, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, lime juice, lime zest, chicken broth, tomato sauce and salt and pepper (to taste). Add the meat and onion mixture and stir to combine. Cook on low 3-4 hours. Stir in tomato paste just before serving.

When you're ready to eat, preheat your oven's broiler. Toast the split buns. Divide the meat mixture between the buns and place a slice of cheese on each. Broil until the cheese melts, about 30 seconds. Top with lots of pickles, spread a liberal dollop of mustard on the top half of the bun and enjoy!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP