Tomato Basil Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons

>> Wednesday, December 28, 2011



I've seen this recipe floating around on Pinterest and decided to make it for dinner one night. Since it's supposed to be just like La Madeleine's soup, I served it with a Caesar salad - which is the classic combo I always order whenever I go to LM. Just for fun, I sprinkled grilled cheese croutons on top of the soup.

Usually when I make a meatless dinner, it's met with some resistance from the hubby and from the baby. (Seriously, the kid LOVES meat - she asks for meat as a snack!) But much to my surprise, I didn't hear one complaint and every plate was licked clean.

Tomato Basil Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons
adapted from GirlTalk

2 24-oz jars of tomato puree
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, measured and then finely minced
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup heavy cream (I think next time I will use less - maybe 1/2 cup)
1 stick unsalted butter
salt and pepper to taste

6 slices good quality bread
6 slices Muenster cheese
3 slices sharp cheddar cheese
butter

For the soup, heat tomato puree, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper over medium-low heat. Add cream and butter and stir mixture until butter is melted. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.

Meanwhile, assemble sandwiches by placing 2 slices of Muenster and 1 slice of cheddar between 2 slices of bread. Repeat to make 3 sandwiches. In a saute pan over medium heat, melt a small pat of butter and cook sandwiches, flipping halfway through, until both sides are golden brown and cheese is melted. Remove sandwiches to a cutting board. Slice sandwiches into small squares.

Ladle soup into bowls and top with a handful of grilled cheese croutons.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP