Cheesy Bacon Ranch Chicken Crescent Casserole

>> Monday, January 30, 2012




This recipe is comfort food at it's best!  It's such a delicious combination of flavors that come together to make a fantastic casserole.  It would be really easy to double the recipe if you're feeding a crowd too.  Sadly, I can't tell you how good the leftovers are because my small family of three ate the entire pan.  They are just that yummy.  I'm pretty sure this is a recipe that is going to haunt me until I make it again...which will be very soon!

A few notes about the recipe:  By cooking the casserole without the sauce for 15 minutes, the crescent rolls don't become soggy and hold their taste and texture really well.  Also, I tried to use low fat/reduced fat products as much as possible to cut down on the calories, so while the recipe still isn't exactly healthy, it's not too terrible for you either!


Cheesy Bacon Ranch Chicken Crescent Casserole

for the filling
3 oz low fat cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons low fat sour cream
2-3 green onions, thinly sliced
3 slices bacon or turkey bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
2 small chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
1 tablespoon parsley, minced
1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
1/4 teaspoon dried dill
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
pepper, to taste
1 8-oz package reduced fat crescent rolls

for the topping
1/2 10.5-oz can healthy recipe cream of chicken soup
1/4 cup prepared ranch dressing
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
1 green onion, thinly sliced
handful cilantro, minced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease small baking dish.

In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, green onions, bacon, chicken and spices.  Mix well.  Unroll crescent dough and separate into triangles.  Place 2-3 heaping tablespoons of the chicken mixture on each triangle and roll up, starting at the thicker end.  Place each triangle in the baking dish.  (You may have a little extra filling left depending on the size of your chicken breasts.)  Bake for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together soup, ranch dressing and milk.

Remove casserole dish from oven and pour soup mixture over top.  Sprinkle with shredded cheese and bake an additional 20 minutes.  Let stand 5 minutes before serving.  Garnish with green onion and cilantro.

4 comments:

Emily K. Slaughter February 2, 2012 at 5:45 PM  

I can't wait to make this! Looks delish!

Laura February 3, 2012 at 7:06 AM  

So.. how did you cook the chicken breasts for this recipe? I know I've asked you about chicken before, but was wondering for this recipe.. I want to try it! Thanks!

Erin February 3, 2012 at 1:35 PM  

Thanks Emily!

Laura, for this one I used a rotisserie chicken to save time. Our local HEB has started selling all natural (no hormone, no antibiotic, vegetarian fed) rotisserie chickens, so I've been using them when I'm in a time crunch.

Laura February 13, 2012 at 11:18 AM  

I made these last week and they were delicious and Paisley loved them too! As I was making them, I thought they were awfully familiar and then I realized it is very similar to a chicken/crescent roll-up dish that my grandma used to make.. Loved your recipe and that it reminded me of my grandma's cooking, too! :)

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP