Chicken Gnocchi Soup

>> Friday, February 17, 2012

I found this recipe via Pinterest (no surprise there!) and I thought it looked like a great, almost Italian alternative to the traditional chicken noodle soup.  I am so glad we tried it because it was a big winner!  As soon as we sat down to eat, the talking completely ceased because we were too busy shoveling this soup into our mouths as quickly as possible.  Even sweet two year old Finley loved it and commented how "yummy" it was.  After dinner, Andrew suggested that we should bring the leftovers to friends who had a new baby last week.  I have to be honest though, I really don't want to give the leftovers to someone because I want to eat them all!

The broth has a great flavor from the veggies and simple herbs.  The soup is hearty enough (thanks to the gnocchi) without being heavy.  I felt like there were enough vegetables in the soup that I didn't need to make an additional vegetable side dish.  I love one dish meals!  I served the soup with a loaf of crusty garlic bread, and it was a wonderfully simple meal that I can't wait to have again soon.

Chicken Gnocchi Soup
as seen on Our Little Family, recipe adapted from All Recipes

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 small white onion, chopped
3 carrots, sliced
3 celery ribs, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 rotisserie chicken, meat removed and chopped (or 2 cooked and chopped chicken breasts)
5 cups chicken broth
1 16-oz package mini potato gnocchi (I used potato and spinach gnocchi)
1 6-oz bag baby spinach, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream, half and half or fat free half and half
kosher salt and pepper, to taste

Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.  Cook onion, carrots and celery in the oil until onion is translucent, about 5-7 minutes.  Stir in garlic, parsley and basil, and cook until fragrant, stirring often, about 30 seconds to 1 minute.  Stir in chicken and broth; bring to a simmer.

Add gnocchi into the simmering soup and cook until they begin to float, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook until wilted, about 3 more minutes.

Stir cream into soup and lower heat to medium-low.  Taste soup and season with salt and pepper.  You can eat the soup immediately to let it cook awhile longer.  I let mine cook about 30 more minutes because Andrew was running late.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP