Pumpkin Streusel Bread

>> Wednesday, November 17, 2010


Despite the name of my blog, I'm just not a big baker; however, it isn't fall unless you're baking (and eating!) pumpkin-something. I made this bread this afternoon and it filled the house with the most glorious aroma ever. My mouth is watering just remembering the smell! Other than the canned pumpkin and possibly the applesauce, you probably have all the ingredients in your pantry - unless you're a dweeb like me who ran out of sugar, had a baby sleeping, neighbors who weren't home and finally had to call my dad to bring me 1 1/2 c sugar. Anyhoo, the bread is wonderfully moist and flavorful. If so inclined, you can easily tailor it to your specific tastes - add chopped apples, raisins, nuts in the batter, etc.


Pumpkin Streusel Bread
adapted from Allrecipes.com

1 15-oz can pumpkin puree
1/2 c vegetable oil
1/2 c cinnamon applesauce
2/3 c water
4 eggs
1 t vanilla
1 c brown sugar
1 1/2 c white sugar
3 1/2 c all-purpose flour
2 t baking soda
1 1/2 t salt
1 t cinnamon
1 t ground nutmeg
1/2 t ground cloves
1/4 t allspice

1/2 c sugar
1/4 c flour
1 t cinnamon
1/2 chopped nuts
2 T softened butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease pans.

In a mixer, combine pumpkin, oil, applesauce, water, eggs, vanilla, brown sugar, and white sugar. Blend well. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and next four spices. Slowly add dry ingredients into wet mixture. Mix until just combined.

To make streusel topping, combine sugar, flour, cinnamon, and chopped nuts. With a fork, mix in softened butter until it resembles coarse crumbs.

Pour batter into two or three 7' x 3' loaf pans. Sprinkle evenly with streusel topping. Bake in preheated oven 60 to 80 minutes. [The cooking time varies so much because it depends on if you make two ginormous loaves (like I did and it took 80 minutes) or three regular sized loaves. You could always make muffins or mini-loaves too and adjust the cooking time accordingly.]

2 comments:

Alicia November 20, 2010 at 7:59 PM  

We had a dinner at our house tonight for some out-of-town relatives, and I was looking for a pumpkin dessert that was a little different. I ended up using this recipe in a 9x13 pan and, instead of using the streusel, I made a cream cheese frosting. It was so incredibly delicious! I did everything exactly as written, and I wouldn't change a thing. Thanks for the recipe!

Erin November 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM  

You are so very welcome! There's just something about fall that makes me bust out all of my pumpkin recipes!

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP