Rich Celery Root Puree

>> Monday, January 10, 2011


I've wanted to try celery root for awhile now and when I found this recipe in my new favorite cookbook...you guessed it!.. the Barefoot Contessa's How Easy is That?, I knew I had to try it. The original recipe makes scads, so I halved the recipe to feed four people and it still made enough for at least 6 people. So keep that in mind when making the recipe.


I really liked the subtle flavor and the slightly crunchy texture of the puree. To me it was a lot more exciting than mashed potatoes. As the recipe title implies, this recipe is very rich and a little goes a long ways.

Rich Celery Root Puree
Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa How Easy is That?
serves 6 to 8 (but I think it would serve quite a few more than that!)

5 lbs celery root
2 T unsalted butter
1 1/2 c chicken stock
1 1/2 c heavy cream
4 t kosher salt
1 t freshly ground black pepper

Peel celery roots with a large knife and cut each one in half. With cut side down, cut into 1/2-inch dice, removing any brown spots.

Melt butter in a pot over medium-high heat. Add celery root and saute 3 minutes, stirring to coat with butter. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes. Add chicken stock, cream, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 15 to 25 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the celery root is very tender.

In batches, transfer the mixture to a food processor fitted with the steel blade and puree until smooth. Return the puree to the pot and reheat gently over low heat. Check the seasonings and serve hot.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP