Spring Frittata

>> Sunday, May 22, 2011

{all the pretty veggies before the egg mixture went in}

Since we're trying to save for a new house, I've been working to cut down our grocery bill. One of the best ways is to cut down on the meat that we eat each week, so I've been trying to work in a vegetarian meal here and there. The frittata worked out really well because it still has plenty of protein from the eggs and cheese and many of the ingredients came right out of our garden. How fun is that! I love being able to walk outside and grab fresh herbs and vegetables. Now I just have to cross my fingers that our garden will survive the brutal Texas summer! In addition to being inexpensive, this frittata is delicious. I loved the tang from the goat cheese, the olive oil soaked potatoes and the burst of sweetness from the whole cherry tomatoes. Fantastic! I also better better eating it since It didn't have a pie crust base like quiches do and it had a green veggie in it. I will definitely be making this again and again.


Spring Frittata

2 T olive oil
2 large red potatoes (or 1 medium baking potato), diced
1/2 white onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 c spinach, roughly chopped
salt and pepper
2 handfuls cherry tomatoes
2 oz goat cheese, crumbled
1-2 T fresh herbs, chopped (I used chives, parsley, thyme, basil and dill)
6 eggs
1/3 milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Heat olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Place potatoes and onion in skillet and cook until fork tender, stirring occasionally, about 15-20 minutes. Mix in garlic, spinach and salt and pepper. Continue cooking for 1 to 2 minutes, until spinach is wilted. Sprinkle cherry tomatoes, goat cheese and fresh herbs over potatoes.

In a bowl, beat eggs and milk together. Pour into skillet over the vegetables. Reduce heat to low and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, gently lifting edges with spatula and tilting pan so that uncooked portion flows underneath. Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until set in the middle and lightly browned. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.

2 comments:

Rena and Mike May 22, 2011 at 2:34 PM  

I love your reipes, but wish you would post some of Finley on your other blog! The last ones that I can see were 5 months ago.

Erin May 24, 2011 at 7:56 PM  

Your wish is my command, Rena! I just published five new posts full of pictures of the Fin-Pin.

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP