Roasted Chicken and Caramelized Onion Risotto

>> Tuesday, December 8, 2009


This risotto was fantastic - a rich, creamy texture, and lots of great flavors. For the longest time, I never made risotto because I'd always heard it was difficult to do and that it took a long time to make. But I ran across this recipe and thought it sounded like it would be delicious and then I saw a Rachel Ray 30 Minute Meals episode during which she made a risotto. I figured if she could make it in 30 minutes, then I could too! One of the things I learned from watching her show was that you don't have to constantly stir the risotto, so while the risotto cooked, I was able to put together the caprese salad and clean up the kitchen. My kind of recipe! Here is the recipe that I used for the basis of my recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted-Chicken-with-Risotto-and-Caramelized-Onions/Detail.aspx

And of course, I can never follow a recipe exactly, so here's what I did:

Erin's Roasted Chicken and Caramelized Onion Risotto
4 T butter, divided
2 onions, thinly sliced
6 oz fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 1/4 c white wine, divided
2 T olive oil
2 c arborio rice
6 c chicken broth (I used 4 c chicken broth and 2 c beef broth because I had some to use up)
1/2 c parmesan, grated
1/2 c pecorino romano, grated
rotisserie chicken, white meat picked off and warmed
parsley, minced, for garnish

In a large skillet over medium heat, melt 2 T butter and add onions. Stir occasionally and allow onions to cook for about 15 minutes. Add mushrooms and 1/4 c white wine. Continue to cook until mushrooms and onions are browned and tender and wine has evaporated, about 10-15 more minutes. Place mixture on a plate.

In the same skillet (no need to clean it), add olive oil. While the oil is heating, place a small saucepan over medium-high heat and add broth. Keep the broth simmering in the saucepan while the risotto is cooking. When oil is rippling, place mushrooms and onions back in the skillet and add the rice. Stir to combine the flavors and toast the rice for 2-3 minutes. Add 1 c white wine and stir well. When the wine has been completely absorbed, add two ladles of the simmering broth, stir and allow the rice to absorb the liquid. Continue doing this until all the broth has been added, about 20-22 minutes. After the last of the broth has been used, add 2 T butter and the cheeses. Stir well to combine.

Place risotto on the plates and top with the warmed chicken and minced parsley.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP